Friday, May 2, 2014

Books and Sanctification



Books! I find myself in agreement with the preacher of Ecclesiastes where he writes, “...Of making many books there is no end, and much study is wearisome to the flesh.” This probably sounds strange coming from a pastor. I am always challenged by the number of books written and people asking me my opinions of them. I am a slow reader and it takes me much time to work through books.

I was recently asked my opinion on the book, “Extravagant Grace” by Barbara Duguid. This volume has received many good reviews. The inquirer had some questions and concerns. There are also a couple of reviews out there that raise some criticism. Even the OPC magazine, New Horizons posts a positive review in the February 2014 issue and a letter in May 2014 issue that offers a critique. So what did I think? Yep, I had to admit I hadn’t read the book.

So, my comments are not about Mrs. Duguid’s book, “Extravagant Grace” but about the topic raised by it and my questioner, Sanctification. I just want to make one point from the scriptures that I think is relevant to the discussion and perhaps of help to others.

In my own personal battle with sin a verse of scripture brought illumination and a sense of freedom, I Corinthians 1:30. Paul declares that Jesus Christ is the believer’s sanctification. In my struggle with learned habitual sins and my own weaknesses that are common to many (I Cor 10:13), I came to understand that my only hope is faith in Christ. This faith, just like the faith of justification is not a passive faith but an active trust. I could endeavor, plan, plot, promise, and try to live righteously with tears on my own all I wanted but I would fail. Surrender to my sin is the great temptation by the Tempter himself.

I read Paul in Romans 7:15-25 and I began to hope. “O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!” I read again I Corinthians 1:30. I read again Ephesians 4:17-24. Who is the new man? It is Jesus Christ. How do I put him on? I put him on by faith. Sanctification is by faith, an active faith which engages the will, heart, and mind to live as one united to Jesus Christ by faith. I settle for nothing less than living by faith in the Son of God, fleeing to him for forgiveness, and being fed upon him by the word of God, the sacraments, and prayer.

Just like books, there is no end to sin. No they aren’t the same but I need sanctification in both areas. My hope in the battle with sin is in my union with Jesus Christ by faith. By faith I stand and live in the daily struggle against sin and for sanctification. That is my hope for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment